Scouting the Territory


  1. Update us where you stand on your topic idea
My topic will still be the differences academically and socially between those who took online classes from those who had a more traditional in-person college education.

  1. Tell us what you find online. 
For me, the key terms that I found most useful were "Online education vs traditional," "Online college classes," "e-learning pros vs cons," and "traditional education vs. online learning." I found lots of articles that mentioned 

  1. Tell us what books or scholarly articles seem important.  
I used google scholar primarily and found many papers that cover topics. Google news seemed heavily opinion-based, and so I primarily stuck with research papers. I found many scholarly articles on the topic, all with different methodologies on how to measure the difference while excluding outside factors.
  1. What ideas about your topic did you get from this search? 
One major topic that was mentioned was how limited online learning is for the professor teaching the class, as well as trying to remove outside factors that would affect the online learning students. Issues such as technological problems, different environment,s and increase self-discipline can all affect the students and can thus influence the results.
  1. What resources did you uncover?  Give us at least two specific references or links to things you found
One research paper I read was about the academic differences between students who took online classes compared to the in-person counterparts. although it was made in 2014, and technology has come a long way to aid online learning, I believe it's still a beneficial paper because of the sheer size of the student sample and because of the thoroughness the paper had. Here Is the link for the paper.

Another research paper I read was regarding COVID-19 and how not embracing e-learning has had negative consequences on the student's ability to learn. It was published in June of 2020, so it is incredibly new and relevant to online learning. Here is the link to the paper

  1. Did you find any controversies over your topic? 

 I couldn't find any controversies about my topic.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Research Blog #6: Visual

Research Question and 3 Scholarly Sources

A Possible topic for research paper